Monday, July 22, 2013

Going Back To Sweet Mesquite!!!



What a relief it was when I heard my name announced by the public address announcer saying I had qualified for the ReMax World Long Drive Championship. It was honestly one of the greatest moments in my life as at that moment I reflected on how far I had come in less than a year of competing in Long Drive. All my hard work, sacrifice and dedication was finally justified on Saturday July 13th as I went up against some of the best hitters in the Region. To my credit as well, I always stayed in the winner’s bracket and never faced elimination.


Reflecting back on my performance at Regional’s, I felt more prepared mentally than physically. It was a long 8 hour drive to Conneaut, Lake PA and I had practiced the week leading up. I kept visualizing my good swings and remembering what they felt like. It didn’t help that I was also battling a swing change, but I was not going to let it slow me down. I went with a hybrid of my old swing and my new swing and it obviously did the trick.

I was not hitting the ball as high as I would have liked, but the conditions that day called for a lower ball flight as we were hitting into a headwind most of the day and a saturated ground with no roll.

It was pretty cool to start seeing familiar faces I have seen in the long drive community at the regional, along with people I had talked to through the online forums and finally been able to put a face to an email (haha).

Now everyday is going to be dedicated to preparing myself for worlds, through physical, mental and swing training. I am going to start contacting people looking for sponsors to help offset some expenses. I am very thankful for the team of people that I have around me who have helped get me to where I am in such a short period of time. Between my swing coach, personal trainer, nutritionist and the local support at Timberlin Golf Course and my
friends and family, I couldn't ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment